5 Ways to Prevent the Flu
Although we cannot guarantee you won’t get the flu, we have put together 5 tips that might protect you from getting sick this flu season.
- Get the Flu Shot: Did you know you can get the flu shot at any of our care centers? Call your care center to schedule a quick visit.
- Keep Your Immune System Strong: Your immune system protects your body against infections. In order to keep it strong, make sure you are getting 7-9 hours of sleep every night. You also want to practice healthy food habits, like eating 5 total servings of fruits and vegetables. Additionally, make sure you are exercising for at least 20 minutes, 3-5 times per week.
- Use Good Health Habits: The flu is extremely contagious. Regularly wash your hands with soap and water. Also, disinfect surfaces you contact frequently in your home or at work.
- Stop Smoking: People who smoke tend to get viruses more often. The symptoms also tend to be more severe in smokers. Quitting smoking could be a useful preventative measure against the flu — not only for you, but also for anyone who lives with you.
- Take Antiviral Flu Drugs: Flu antiviral drugs are prescriptions that may reduce the length and severity of flu symptoms. They also may prevent you from getting the flu if you take them before getting sick. Talk to your doctor before starting any medication.
If you practice these tips, you are less likely to suffer from the flu this season. If you do happen to get the flu, we are here for you with same day appointments and a Saturday clinic. Contact your primary care physician first if you aren’t feeling well.