Patient Support Operator - Call Center (FT/PT)
Home Company The Villages Health
Home Business Unit The Villages Health
Reports To Patient Support Supervisor
FLSA Status Non-Exempt
Scope of Responsibilities
The Villages Health consistently delivers over 98% patient satisfaction and we are always looking for new ways to provide the best patient experience in all that we do. The Patient Support Operator (PSO) team is at the forefront of this experience, acting as a central service and support provider for all patients. How we answer the phone, handle calls and provide service to our callers is a reflection of our core values and care model. In the Call Center, our PSOs are responsible for taking inbound calls and/or placing return calls to patients who require additional support from The Villages Health team. PSOs are also responsible for confirming and/or rescheduling appointments, sending messages regarding prescription renewals, test results, and referral requests, assisting with directions, answering any questions or concerns that a patient may have regarding TVH patient portal and much more.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different functions be performed when circumstances change or exigencies require (this includes but is not limited to emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, rush jobs, or technological developments).
- Be a champion for The Villages Health brand, care model, care centers, services, clinicians and the patient experience.
- Represent our core values of service, quality, stewardship and innovation to patients and co-workers.
- Provide superior patient service and support and care with a friendly, positive attitude.
- Answer important patient questions and/or determine the best next steps and resources to serve their needs.
- Send detailed messages to clinical and clerical staff in the Care Center and follow best practices for collaborating and servicing patient needs.
- Track and report all call inquiries in the EMR by logging a patient case of all patient interactions.
- Report the outcome of the call using wrap up codes.
- Meet performance goals and SLAs for call volume, time on call, answered calls, and more.
- Meet specific quality measures for patient service and call resolution.
- Adhere to compliance and HIPPA regulations.
- Reports to a Patient Support Supervisor.
- High school diploma
- Associate’s degree preferred
- 2 years Customer/Patient Service Experience, healthcare industry a plus
- Experience in a either a medical office or high-volume call center
- Experience using both call center and EMR software
- Passion for providing superior patient service
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Knowledge of health care field.
- Knowledge of legal and ethical considerations related to patient information.
- Knowledge of customer/patient service principles, applications and conflict resolution.
- Skill in putting information in preferred medical record system, meeting clinic standards.
- Skill in diffusing tense situations through diplomatic problem-solving.
- Skill in using computer, phone and medical records software.
- Ability to communicate effectively with patients and staff via phone, in person and through email.
- Ability to establish relationships with a wide variety of people.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced call center environment.
- Ability to hit and exceed customer/patient service level and quality goals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Combination of standing, sitting, bending, and reaching. May work at computer monitors for prolonged periods of time using fingers to keyboard, handle or feel. Workload will be heavy at times.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Office environment with standard office equipment with emphasis on telephones and EMR. Noise level is low to moderate. Work from home available.
Access to Protected Health Information (PHI)
This position requires LIMITED access to Protected Health Information (PHI), and will adhere to HIPAA regulations regarding PHI.