As you age, you may notice several changes in your health and wellness. You might struggle to hear your children speak on the phone. Seeing the television might be hard. You might move slower than you used to in your younger years.
These changes are inevitable, but there are ways you can continue to enjoy the later years of your life. The key is healthy mindset across seven dimensions of wellness.
Wellness is an active process where you decide to make choices towards a happier, healthier life in the following areas:
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Eat clean, healthy foods.
- Engage in exercise regularly.
- Get a good night’s sleep.
- Believe in a greater purpose.
- Appreciate life.
- Practice mindfulness. Live in the present.
- Be consistent in your beliefs, values and behaviors.
- Be aware of your current financial situation.
- Update your estate plan and living will.
- Review your credit report.
- Live within your means.
- Protect and care for the environment.
- Clean up litter.
- Recycle and conserve resources.
- Choose environmentally-friendly products.
- Nurture relationships with people who are respectful, positive and supportive.
- Give back and contribute to your community.
- Sustain a strong support network.
- Be conscious of the effects of your behaviors on others. Honor your commitments.
- Be positive and have a friendly attitude.
- Learn how to handle stress and anxiety.
- Remember gratitude is a great attitude.
- Avoid criticism, judgment and blame.
- Open your mind to new ideas and experiences.
- Listen more.
- Learn new (or improve) skills and knowledge.
- Seek challenges daily.
“We’re the oldest ones in our neighborhood and as my neighbor pointed out, we are inspirations for how to grow old gracefully. The Villages Health encourages us to be healthy.”
John & Jane Munger, 90 and 92 years young, Patients at Creekside & Specialty Care Center
If you can conquer the seven dimensions of wellness, then you are sure to age with grace and dignity!
To learn more healthy aging tips, register now for The Art of Aging class. You don’t have to be a patient or resident of The Villages to attend, so bring your friends!
The Art of Aging
Belleview Care Center
Tuesday, August 21 at 2:30 PM