Wouldn’t it be nice to wake up feeling rested and energized every morning? Well, it’s certainly possible – especially if you get a good night’s rest. We all know that sleep plays an important role in our overall health and well-being – but it’s not always easy to fall asleep and stay asleep.
It is recommended to get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep every night so you can be at your best during the day. But how do you ensure a good night’s rest? Keep reading for a few tips, and try to stay awake!
- Create a Sleep Schedule: Go to bed and wake-up at the same time every day, including the weekends. Doing this will help your body get in a consistent routine. It will help you fall asleep and stay asleep through the night.
- Exercise Daily: Exercise uses your bodies energy, which will help you fall asleep faster. The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults:
- Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week like walking fast, dancing or swimming.
- Do muscle-strengthening activities, like lifting weights or using exercise bands – at least 2 days per week.
- Avoid Naps: If you have trouble falling asleep, avoid napping. Do not take naps in the afternoon. Even short catnaps can cause some people to experience difficulty falling asleep.
- Evaluate Mattress and Pillows: Dust, moisture and debris cause mattresses and pillows to wear out. The life expectancy of a mattress is 8-10 years. The lifespan of a pillow is 2 years. If your pillows and mattress are no longer comfortable and supportive, it may be time to replace them.
- Beware of Bright Lights: Sometimes watching television and using your smartphone or laptop right before bed can cause a disruption in your ability to fall asleep because it activates your brain. Avoid bright lights one hour prior to bedtime.
- Establish a Bed Time Ritual: Relax before bedtime with activities such as reading a book, listening to soothing music or soaking in a warm bath.
Sleep plays a vital role in your health and well-being. Getting enough quality sleep at the right times can help protect your physical and mental health.
To learn more healthy sleep tips, register now for our free Getting a Good Night’s Sleep class. You don’t have to be a patient or resident of The Villages to attend, so bring your friends!
Getting a Good Night’s Sleep
Belleview Care Center
Thursday, August 23 at 10:00 AM